How to Save Money on Your Electric Bill: Tips From D&H Electric
Looking to save some money on your electric bill? Well, we here are D&H Electric are here for you! Below are some tips to save you some serious green!
- Adjust your water heater. Your water heater accounts for 12% of your utility bill. For every 10 degrees, you reduce the temperature of your water heater, you can save 3-5% on your water heating costs. That means if you lower your water heater to 120 degrees, you could save up to 10% on your water heating costs!
- Use LED bulbs. LED light bulbs use up to 90% LESS energy than incandescent bulbs. LED light bulbs can also last between 30-50 times longer than a conventional light bulb. Replace your most commonly used bulbs and see some serious savings on your electrical bill!
- Ditch or upgrade that second fridge. 1 in 3 Americans has a second fridge. Of those homes, about half have a second fridge that is over 20 years old. These elderly fridges are huge energy hogs, costing you hundreds of dollars in energy costs!In the last 20 years, refrigerator manufacturers have made massive strides. A modern fridge will cost $215 – $270 less per year on your energy bill than an older one. These fridges may cost even more if in a garage in the hot desert heat! If you must have a second refrigerator, buy a newer one and you will save more money in the long run!
- Disconnect those energy vampires. While you might think you are saving electricity by putting your devices on standby, those devices are still sucking energy and money! According to the US Department of Energy, leaving your gadgets on standby accounts for 10% or more of your total electric bill. Turn off your devices (laptops, computers, receivers, streaming devices) when not in use and unplug that phone charger when you aren’t using it to save some serious cash on your electric bill!
- Turn off lights and use dimmer switches. Lighting accounts for 14% of the average American electric bill. Turn off your lights when not in use or install a dimmer so you can control for the right amount of light you would like to use (which will reduce electricity). Not sure how to install a dimmer switch? Call D&H Electric at 928-726-5671 and we can help!
Thanks for reading, and make sure to contact D&H Electric 928-726-5671 for all your electrical needs!